By Patricia Cruz
Chapter Achievement Award Chair
Orlando Central Florida Chapter STC
At UCF, a favorite piece of advice given to students at the beginning of a new school year is “Get involved!” Every UCF student knew what professors and administrators meant whenever they mentioned the phrase. To “get involved” was to step outside one’s comfort zone and be part of something—a cause, an organization, or a movement, for example.
Fall is right around the corner, and with only four months left in 2012, I’d like to encourage Orlando Central Florida Chapter members and friends to “Get involved!” Our application for the Chapter Achievement Award, which recognizes outstanding STC chapters, is right on track. But if you’ve ever wanted to put your techincal writing savvy to good use outside of work, now’s a great time to get involved with the chapter. Here are a couple of ideas to get you started:
- Spread the STC love by submitting an article about our chapter to your favorite local newspaper or magazine.
- Help future technical communicators by coordinating a technical communication-related event at a local college, university, or high school.
- Pass on your expertise by putting together a seminar or a workshop with the chapter.
- Get together with other STC members and form a group that explores the branches of technical communication that are most interesting to you.
- Contribute technical communication expertise to nonprofit projects that directly promote and increase the visibility and value of the technical communication profession
If you’d like to do any of the activities above or if you have one of your own, we’d love to hear from you! Send a quick note to our chapter president, Karen Lane, at